Centerweave

My journey into the world of weaving


1 Comment

1200 ends is a lot of ends to thread

I took advantage of having a day off and thought I could complete the threading.
Nope.
As I neared the last bunch of ends, I realized it was two off. Sigh.
So I began to check, from the beginning. The error was, of course, about half way through. An unfortunate repeat. So I added two heddles and have been unthreading in order to rethread. I’m about where I was when I started this morning!
I guess I’m a little rusty but 1200 is a lot of ends.

Advertisements


Leave a comment

Another error in the napkins!

I had woven about 3/4 of the first napkin when my eye was caught by a discrepancy in the pattern. What! I looked closer (and this means taking my glasses off) and sure enough, an end is threaded incorrectly.

I finished number one and fixed the error by adding a heddle in the right shaft. I think it is fixed. Have woven a couple of repeats and it looks good….except for the first few picks. I am thinking seriously about doing some unweaving to fix whatever ails there. Unless I can talk myself into the fact that the hem might cover this. Hmmmm. Just about talked into that.

And this after a broken end! Which I fixed easily. Amazing how this used to be so stressful. Now I just shrug and fix. Oh well.


Leave a comment

New set of napkins underway!

Weaving on the new set of napkins began in earnest today! I had one error in threading that had to be fixed even though I thought I had double checked everything! I am about half way through the first napking.

napkins

I did take my spinning wheel on vacation with me and plied what will forecver be known as my “4th of July” skein! Here’s the wheel:

spinning wheel


Leave a comment

Threading continues

Because of some electrical work, I didn’t have power for a couple of hours yesterday so could not work. I threaded instead! It was very fruitful, mostly because I caught a huge error and was able to fix before too much had been threaded. I am more than 75% done at this point. The power came back on and I had to go back to work.

But I did reflect on weaving in times of old, before electricity.  I am sure there were candles or firelight or gas lamps. Or perhaps weaving happened just in the light of day. A nice couple of hours.


Leave a comment

Weaving began but not without problems!

I fixed the threading errors and began to weave the napkins, using a twill pattern and alternating the colors so there is a plaid effect.

An end broke. This isn’t a selvedge end but one well one third of the way into the warp on the right. I fixed and contintued to weave. Again it broke. This it did half a dozen times and then the end next to it broke!

I was more than puzzled. I was frustrated. Was it the fiber? No I am pretty sure it’s not. And I couldn’t apply the same troubleshooting I had to the frequently breaking selvedge end of the previous project. But I could research this on the internet! I can’t have been the only one with this bothersome problem!

Sure enough, I found help here under “Sticky Sheds and Broken Threads”. I first tried advancing the warp frequently but that actually resulted in more frequent breaks! So what I did was make my sheds smaller by fussing with the treadle ties. And I am still advancing frequently. No breaks!

Here is my work thus far:

napkins

The fibers look brownish but the kit has assured me that they will turn a couple of shades of green! And these are huge napkins! I almost think they will morph into dish towels, but we’ll see what we have once off the loom.

So frustration has turned into pleasure.