Centerweave

My journey into the world of weaving


Leave a comment

Beginnings – good beginnings

I have successfully sleyed the reed and just finished threading the heddles in my front to back warping! It is fun. Only one rocky moment when sleying: I dropped the cross so I am sure all those ends are helter skelter.

Next is tying onto the back beam and then beaming. I’ll take a picture at that point.

I got sliding hook flyer and bobbins for my Ashford. There was a moment when I thought I would have to return it when I couldn’t get the whorl off! But unlike my other flyer where you screw the whorl off, with this one, you pull it off! Then I thought it was missing a set of hooks to help hold the fiber against the flyer but I found them. Installed and I am spinning away on some romney hogget and silk (97%/3%).

I had received two gift cards for Christmas so I went to A Loom with a View and bought this book:

Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook

It is gorgeous and I love how it is written.


Leave a comment

Second set well underway

My husband helped me beam the warp – I’m getting spoiled. It’s just so much easier with a second pair of hands – strong hands too!

Beamed, heddles threaded, and reed is all sleyed. Weaving has started!

One mistake: somehow I ended up with 199 ends, not 177. I’m not sure how that happened. What it translates into is two more repeats of the huck threading: 2-3-2-3-2-1-4-1-4-1. And about an inch wider. So overall everything worked out with the threading, I have woven 6 inches thus far and it looks good.

When I was threading the heddles, I came up with a different approach. Most likely someone else has thought of this. I put the ends in bunches of the pattern as above. So bunches of 10 ends for the bulk. This way I didn’t have to think and count at the same time! Just had to thread! Some prep time but well worth it.


Leave a comment

Placemats are threaded and sleyed!

It’s been so long since I have sat down to focus on my weaving! Today, I threaded the heddles and then sleyed the reed. Of course, not without error. In fact two errors. I finished threading and had two too many heddles! so back I went to check on my work. Never fails, the error was found just at the half way mark. I’ve made errors there before. Something about transitioning to the other half or something. You would think I would know this now and CHECK my work! all is well now. And I have also sleyed the reed. Plus the treadles have been tied to the right shafts. Oh this was another thing! For the first time I noticed that SEVEN shafts were being used; I have six. Upon further examination, it all has to do with pattern. There are three different patterns: huck, huck lace, and huck boxes. So when I want to do the last, I just have to tie up the sixth treadle a little differently.

All is ready to begin weaving! I’ve got several bobbins all ready to go. But enough for the day. I want to do some spinning now – something else I haven’t done for a bit!


Leave a comment

Sleying the reed

Threading is done. I rechecked and found one error! I had to fit in an extra heddle to hold the errant end.

I have just begun sleying. And I am sleying into a brand new 12 dent reed, 41 inches long that I just purchased from the Yarn Barn. I just want to take a moment on praising their customer service. I had ordered the wrong size reed, called them, and asked what to do. I more than half expected to be told too bad but they were very nice. All I had to do was ship the wrong reed back and they would send the correct one. Very nice!

So sleying will absorb me for a bit, I imagine. I am enjoying this project tremendously, all the steps!