Centerweave

My journey into the world of weaving


Leave a comment

New project on the loom!

I have almost finished dressing the loom for this next project of scarves. I have just to tie onto the front beam and figure out the tension.

I am using Zephyr wool-silk 4/8 for the warp and my “pumpkin juice” wool-silk plus some Peace Fleece.

yarns

I ended up not bringing the Dorothy to the Craft fair because of the Hannah humidity of the day. So I still have that loom. I’m playing around with some patterns and yarns on that. Kind of fun not to have to really think “product”.

Advertisements


3 Comments

Dish towels finished! and weaving on the Dorothy

The dish towels are finished! I had a total of about 24 inches for loom waste, front and back. That shows how close I was weaving!

Here’s the runt of the family (12.75 length / 14.5 width)

runt

The length of the dish towels is all within the 22 inch range. And the width is pretty much 14.5 inches. Hemming them was actually fun and rewarding. I am sewing straighter and have gained a lot of confidence in sewing. And I love sewing my own handwovens!
Continue reading


Leave a comment

Dish towels off the loom!

And that’s just about it. I haven’t done any measuring yet. I ended up with 7 pieces in all. I would say 5 are going to be consistently the same length. 4 of those will be clones of each other. I didn’t divert from the pattern at hand. The 6th one I had a little fun with – weaving with both the white and green in the weft for a bit.

6th dish towel

The last piece is short. I think it will be squarish, rather than rectangular in shape. I also saw mistakes in this last piece, mostly because I was weaving very close to the apron rod and couldn’t get the shed I wanted.

The other project I worked on today was dressing the Dorothy for the first time. There were pieces I needed to do this so husband Ed crafted the lease sticks out of a yard stick and cut a rod for tying onto the rear beam.
Continue reading


Leave a comment

Scarf progress

More than half done on the second scarf. This is very easy weaving! Shall I say almost boring? But no, it is very satisfying. A little problem with the right selvedge but nothing huge, nothing worth taking out!
I got my yarn from Halcyon yesterday. Again, the pink error! They have the wrong color with the wrong number online! So instead of the mauve, I got pink. I am keeping it. I am going to try for a different look – perhaps stripes! May be funky, may be just lovely. I won’t know until I start weaving it! Most likely I’ll start warping this week – may take a while – it’s a long warp of 7 yards!!!!!!!
And I still have the Dorothy project on the back burner. I think this weekend I may squeeze in some time and at least begin to dress the loom!


2 Comments

All bathmats done; new project begun

The mauve and green bathmats are complete. Like the blue, the waffle did not pop out but I love the texture anyway! I was able to fringe twist the mauve; I like it! They shrank about 10 inches in length and a couple in the width so I am glad I made them longer. And I am eager to waffle weave again!
In the meantime, I have dressed the loom for the two scarves. I have done stripes with bamboo and the weft is two different colors of alpaca.
I have finally figured out what to do with Dorothy. I have a warp ready, the loom is as ready as can be, and I am going to thread to get a gamp! I have 4 different threadings and then I will change treadles every 4 inches or so. So we’ll see how that turns out!